Protect your carpet step-by-step:
No carpet is stain proof, but since many are stain resistant, you have time to act. Use the following general guidelines to minimize the lasting effects of a spill or stain:
- Quickly remove as much of a food spill as possible by scraping the carpet gently with a smooth scraper, spoon or a dull knife.
- Absorb wet spills as quickly as possible by blotting repeatedly with clean, white paper or cloth towels. Always blot; never rub or scrub abrasively, as a fuzzy area may result. When blotting, work from the outer edge in toward the center of the spot to avoid spreading the spill.
- Remove the remainder of the stain using one of the cleaning items from the list below.
- Rinse the cleaned carpet area thoroughly with water to remove detergent residue that may become sticky and cause rapid re-soiling.
- Absorb any remaining moisture by placing several layers of white towels over the spot and weighing them down with a heavy object. This step is necessary even when the carpet doesn’t seem particularly damp.
What do you use to clean the spill?
The Floor Store proudly offers the Mohawk FloorCare Essentials line of cleaning products. The safe, non-toxic carpet spot remover is easy to use and dries quickly with no sticky residue to attract more dirt. Use the specialized scraper (Cleaning Key) to remove spills from the carpet fibers before blotting and cleaning with our white micro-fiber cloths. If you’d like to try any of ourFloorCare Essentials products, visit one of our Showrooms for a free sample and more information.
Some common household items will also allow you to safely clean your carpet or rug. It’s important to use only the items listed below, because many other household cleaners contain chemicals that may permanently damage your carpet. Avoid saturation with the cleaning solutions. Use them sparingly and blot frequently. Consult your manufacturer specifications and always test in an inconspicuous area before using any of these products on your floor. Be prepared with the following checklist:
Clean white cloths or white paper towels
Mix ¼ teaspoon of clear, mild liquid detergent with 1 cup of water. A clear, non-bleach liquid dishwashing detergent such as Dawn, Joy, or clear Ivory is recommended. Do not use detergents that are cloudy or creamy because they may leave a sticky residue.
Mix 1 part white vinegar to 1 part water.
Ammonia solution (Do not use on coffee, tea or urine spots)
Mix 1 tablespoon of non-bleaching, non-sudsing ammonia to 1 cup of water. (Do not use on wool or wool-blend carpets). Use a vinegar solution immediately following to neutralize the ammonia process.
Non-oily nail polish remover
Chewing gum remover (freeze or solid type)
Use spot removers designed specifically for grease, oil, or tar, such as Carbona or Energine. Difficult stains on polypropylene or other solution-dyed fibers can withstand a mild bleach solution, but be certain you know if your carpet is solution-dyed before applying it. See below.
Mix 1 part chlorine bleach to 5 parts water.
Preventive Maintenance – protect your investment before problems occur.
Vacuuming – the most important step in caring for your carpet and rugs.
Overall Cleaning – because vacuuming doesn’t get everything.